Is disc golf really a cheap sport?
We know that most courses are free. And once you have a couple of discs you should be good to go, right?
I mean, how much more could this game take in regard to spending money?
It all adds up if you are highly into the game.
We’ll get back to all that in a moment, though. First, I’d like to re-visit last week’s poll to see what people thought about a little football.
Turns out not many people change their disc golf routine because of football season.
Of the 87 people who cast votes this week, 63 percent (55 votes) said no. The other 37 percent (32 votes) said yes.
Personally, I don’t plan anything around football. If I’m home, I’ll flip it on. But if there’s something else I wanted or planned to do, including disc golf, I’ll catch the score/highlights and everything else later on.
Let’s see what some readers had to say.
Kevin King gives us a perspective from Canada:
I’m probably the minority here, but I don’t follow all that much. Being Canadian, my sports time is normally spent watching hockey, then baseball, then anything else that’s on. You won’t find me out when my Canucks are on TV, but football takes a backseat to disc. I’d be more inclined to watch a DG tournament for 3 hours than a football game, if I’m honest.
That makes sense. Though I’d feel the same with hockey and most sports, for that matter. Outside of something major (if my favorite team was in the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series etc.), I wouldn’t re-arrange to watch pro sports. They make too much money as it is and they wouldn’t re-arrange their schedule for me!
Jenny Cook said:
Football = quiet round of disc golf. Great opportunity to play a usually crowded course on a Sunday afternoon/evening!
I might have to wander to one of the courses closest to me and see what it’s like to play the course at 1 p.m. or so on a Sunday now that football is back and see if it’s the same as you experience!
Morgan Kelly notes:
I don’t have cable and only watch certain football games anyways. I play mostly on weekend evenings and Saturday mornings, so even if there is a certain game on, I won’t miss it.. I can fit both into my schedule.
Not having cable definitely helps in making the choice!
Andy H offers this:
I golf as normal and DVR my team’s games if they go on during when I’m golfing.
I know others who do this as well. Personally, I can’t DVR most sporting events as I’ll need to know the result and go online and look it up!
Was checking fantasy scores every three holes or so on the Android in the bag…
That sounds like more of something I would do as well!
For the die-hard football fans out there, Chris R makes a solid point:
Football affects my season big time. I have followed football a lot longer than I’ve been throwing discs. I just passed on the biggest A-Tier in our area because day 2 of the tourney was on Opening Kickoff Sunday. Can’t miss it! As much as I love disc golf, I can golf 365 days a year. We only get 17 Sundays of regular season football!
And then, of course, the playoffs!
It seems like this sort of thing will always happen though. People will skip many things to do something else, whether it’s football or something else. But it was definitely an interesting bag of responses and votes.
Now, let’s move on with this week’s poll.
What kind of money do you spend, per year, on this game? When factoring everything, try and consider equipment/gear (discs, baskets, bags, towels, clothes etc.), tournament/league costs, course fees (if you play on pay courses), and travel costs. It all adds up.
So, are you a big spender when it comes to the game?
Or do you try and keep it low. Pick a choice in the poll and drop us a comment about your spending habits!
If you have any comments, questions, thoughts, ideas or anything else, feel free to e-mail me and the crew at: pj [at] rattlingchains.com. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook!