Before we move on with the poll, the Rattling Chains staff would like to thank everybody who made women’s week so successful. We’ll continue this annually as long as the site is up and running.
And now on with the show.
One of the other writers on the site, Jack Trageser, sent a whole heap of poll questions to use a few months back. One of them seemed really interesting because it shows the difference between ball golf and disc golf.
He noted that sometimes, a disc golf course is located a bit from parking. So how far will somebody walk to play a course?
Yes, it may seem a little odd to some, but consider one course in upstate New York. It’s not the greatest of courses and, unless you really were looking, most wouldn’t know it existed. There are baskets, but it’s not the easiest to navigate. And to get to it? A good half-mile hike around a pond.
But we’ll get back to all of that in a few moments. First, let’s check back with our last poll, when we asked if you had helped in the growth of the women’s game.
Despite being on the site for two weeks, the poll garnered a disappointing 73 voters. Of those, 81 percent (59 votes) said they had helped the growth. The other 19 percent (14 votes) said no.
Let’s see what some people had to say:
Kevin King said:
I participated in a tournament last year and each player was given an Innova Sidewinder (a good disc for beginners) in the player’s pack. We were all given the instruction to give that disc away to help grow the sport, so I chose to give it to my wife (I made sure to pick out a pink disc for her). She loves it and plays with me every once in a while.
That’s a great way to get a woman involved and even better that it’s your wife and somebody you can hopefully have become a playing partner!
Ben T said:
If I could vote yes and no, I would.
I have 3 daughters I have introduced to the game but can’t get them excited about playing much. It doesn’t help that I am very selective about who they hang around with, and then there’s the problem of activities I tend to discourage in my kids like smoking and drinking. I won’t mention what is being smoked or who is drunk, but when one of your kids sees a person smoking and asks quite loud “why is that man’s lollypop on fire?” It’s a bit disturbing to one’s game. Mostly from laughing too hard to make the next throw with any accuracy. Then there’s the embarrassment when you see the person a couple of holes later lighting up again prompting another round of questions (again, very vocally).
I will continue to work on the girls to get them playing more. The oldest is only 12 and has asked for her own disc golf bag, so maybe there is hope.
This seems like a definite yes. You are helping to grow the women’s game and even better that you want to shield them from any negatives. Plus, your oldest asking for a disc golf bag is definitely a good thing!
A female friend took me out for my first disc golf experience last week. Three-hour wooded hike with a pretty woman playing disc golf ain’t a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I am absolutely hooked. Went to Disc Nation in Austin the next day and bought three discs. More women can definitely help grow disc golf!
And this shows how the women are just as into as the men and can fully help the sport’s growth!
And now back to this week’s poll.
So how far would you walk to get to a course? It might be a great one. Maybe a bad one. But there’s an unknown if you haven’t played it. Even if you’ve read reviews on the course. Maybe it’s a mixed bag.
Most courses seem to have parking somewhat close to the first tee pad. And others a longer hike. So how about you? How far would you hike to play a course?
Vote in the poll below and drop a comment and let us know your thoughts.