In parts of the United States, Canada, Europe and elsewhere, it’s winter.
By winter, we mean snow, ice and cold.
The frigid weather in the Northeast has been tough for some to get out and chuck plastic. But one thing that seems to pop up with some who play in that weather is photos of broken discs.
That’s the topic we’ll cover in this week’s poll.
First, let’s check back to last week when we asked if you every had been part of building a new disc golf course.
Those who responded were split.
Of the 105 people who cast a vote, 51 percent (54 votes) said they had. The remaining 51 votes (49 percent) went to no.
Let’s see what a few people had to say:
I took part in the installation of a DG course at Holyoke Community College in Holyoke, MA. I continue to assist with course work, upkeep and clean up where needed so as to keep the course as usable as possible. There is a lack of courses west of the Northampton MA area and I hope to take part in changing this in the coming years. Any suggestions on how one might approach private land owners and/or municipalities with under utilized open space would be much appreciated.
That’s great that you helped get one in the ground and still work on it! As for the suggestions, I think the first thing is to find whoever is in charge and first try and explain and show what disc golf is. Once you know if it’s viable in their eyes, I think you can then take the next steps. In my limited experience with this, some people seem more into the idea than others.
Peter B said:
We just finished putting the tees in at Lake Sonoma in Geyserville Ca. Everyone who’s played loves it! We’ve had world champions out there enjoying the course and although we don’t have room for expansion to 18, a really fun 9 hole is an excellent option.
I think a 9-hole course can be an important aspect to a smaller area. I know some people throw those courses aside, but if that’s all that’s around, one learns to adapt to it. As this game grows, it’s important to show diversity and different looks. Good luck with your courses as it continues to age!
Nikolas H said:
I haven’t yet but if anyone in the Northern Mississippi area needs a volunteer to help I’d be willing.
If you are willing to help out, reach out to local clubs and see if you can volunteer. Or check out any local forums. I think disc golf organizers are always willing to accept help!
Bocephus Moonshine said:
I’ve volunteered for work days at a local course (Gordy Road Preserve) to help them expand the course from 9 holes to 18, but I just helped clear some brush. I didn’t have a hand in any design decisions. They’re still working on signage for the new holes, and they’re holding a fundraiser in a couple weeks. I hope to get out there and help them dig some post holes for the new signage.
Every little bit helps! Besides designing and getting funds, courses need people willing to put in “grunt” work in cleaning, digging and maintaining. You’re definitely doing your part!
Almost hated to say yes because I’ve done very little. But as they say, “Every little bit helps.”
First off I helped with the redesigned Arrowhead Disc Golf Course at Wilson-Tuscarora SP in NY. This was and unfortunately very little used course. It really is a shame. The curse was just mediocre at best before the redesign. But now the course plays a lot more challenging. Several holes were lengthened. Some were made more difficult by changing the pin placement. A couple were dropped and a couple added. Can you say tunnel shot? I along with several other volunteers did the bulk of the grunt work; placing tee markers, hauling trees, branches and debris.
And there is a brand new private course in the area, Hawk’s Landing. I’ve helped haul wood to clear a couple fairways.
Both times were very satisfying. And you feel a little differently about the course afterwards. Pride I reckon.
Every little bit does help. And it seems like it would definitely give you some pride knowing you helped improve each course.
There are some other, longer responses well worth reading, too. Go back to last week’s poll and check them out!
Now, let’s check in with this week’s poll.
This isn’t just about cold weather. It can be anything. But it seems more photos come with the cold weather as I imagine discs are most susceptible to breaking in frigid weather.
So the question this week is a simple yes or no question in regard to breaking discs.
We’d ask, though, for you to expand in the comments. Do you have a good story about it. Maybe a photo? Feel free to put links in the comments or on our Facebook page. Or post a photo to the Facebook page. If you give permission, we’d like to even use a couple next week.