Born and raised in Northern California, I arrived late to the disc golf party. My mom likes to tell a story, now that I am hooked on the game, of how my dad used to try and take me to the local course when I was younger. Apparently, I wanted nothing to do with it and complained incessantly.
Fast forward 20-plus years, and my, how things have changed. Now, I can’t seem to get enough. After being bit by the proverbial bug and playing incessantly, I even had the opportunity to design and install a nine-hole course at the middle school I worked at, which has been a great way to bring more youth to the sport.
Combining my new found love of disc golf with my lifelong passion for writing, then, has come naturally. Reporting on my experiences and misadventures in the sport has given me a chance to use the journalism degree I earned from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, while simultaneously contributing to the fresh perspective on the game offered at Rattling Chains.
Having migrated further south as I have gotten older, I currently reside in Vista, California, home to not only a healthy disc golf scene, but a burgeoning craft beer culture. I am fortunate enough to be a stay-at-home dad, and when I am not writing about disc golf I chronicle my views on fantasy football at Naptime Quarterback.
In my bag:
I have traveled various waves of plastic in my time as a disc golfer, starting out and buying whatever I could get my hands on as a new player. Soon, I realized I could not throw everything I had, and went through a bit of a minimal phase to try and learn my discs more.
Now, I have settled on a standard overstable-stable-understable setup for most disc categories, but I am always toying with something new. I probably carry too many discs, but I tend to find a way to use most in a given round; whether that results from an accurate shot or an errant one, though, varies.
Right now, here’s what you’ll find in my bag:
- Latitude 64 Opto Saint (164)
- Latitude 64 Gold Line Saint (167)
- Innova Star Roadrunner (164)
- Innova StarLite Roadrunner (143)
- Latitude 64 Gold Line xXx (162)
- Latitude 64 Opto River (166)
- Latitude 64 Gold Line River (168)
- Discraft Elite Z Buzzz (172)
- Discraft ESP FLX Buzzz (172)
- Latitude 64 Opto Fuse (180)
- Latitude 64 Opto Pain (176)
- Latitude 64 Gold Line Pain (176)
- Latitude 64 Opto Pure (176)
- MVP Disc Sports Neutron Ion (174)
- Latitude 64 Eze Pure (173)
- Brengle Terrace Park DGC (Vista)
- Crane Creek (Rohnert Park)
- CSU San Marcos DGC (San Marcos)
- Ford Park (Redlands)
- Hammer of Thor DGC (Redlands)
- Hart Park – Suicide Flats (Bakersfield)
- Kit Carson Park DGC (Escondido)
- Lucchesi Park (Petaluma)
- Montiel Park DGC (San Marcos)
- Morley Field (San Diego)
- Oak View Park DGC (Beaumont)
- Prado DGC (Chino)
- Riverview Park (Bakersfield)
- San Laurel Park (Bakersfield)
- Sky High DGC (Wrightwood)
- Truckee River Regional Park (Truckee)
- Yucaipa Regional Park DGC (Yucaipa)
- Sunset Park (Las Vegas)